Non-Degree Application for CU Anschutz

Application for the Anschutz Non-Degree: Admissions Requirements and Process

Who is a non-degree student?

A "non-degree student" is a student who registers for courses but who is not enrolled in an official degree or certificate program at the University of Colorado Denver|Anschutz Medical Campus. In order to be considered for a seat in a class, all non-degree students must submit a Course Permission Form signed by the teaching faculty.

Non-degree students on the Anschutz Medical Campus register in one of three schools/colleges depending on the course they wish to take. It is important to follow the correct instructions and complete the appropriate application for the non-degree course(s) that you want. The information on this website applies to only non-degree courses available in the School of Medicine and Toxicology and Pharmaceutical Sciences course taught in the School of Pharmacy.

Note: If you are interested in coursework in nursing, you should review the procedures listed on the nursing non-degree application website. If you are interested in coursework in public health (biostatistics or epidemiology), you should review the procedures listed on the public health non-degree application website.

In order to be considered a non-degree student, an applicant must complete the online application. As part of the application process, you will be required to submit a $50 application fee (or $75 for International students), fill out a Tuition Classification Form, and upload a signed Course Permission form (see Application Process below).

Please note: If you intend to apply (and are accepted) to a graduate MS or PhD program at a later date, the total number of transfer credit allowed is 12 for MS, 30 for PhD, or 40% of the total number of didactic credits if the program requires more than 30 credits. Transfer credits are subject to the program's approval.

Unless otherwise noted, all non-degree courses are offered at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora.‚Äč

Where are non-degree programs offered?

Graduate School non-degree students may register for classes at the University of Colorado's Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. If you are interested in taking classes at the Downtown Denver Campus or other University of Colorado campuses, please contact that campus directly for further instructions. If you are applying to the Anschutz Campus, but all of the classes you are looking to take are offered on another campus, you will need to apply for admission to that campus directly.

Residency Status

Residency status will be determined during the application process. It is important to complete all dates and information requested on the Tuition Classification Form to ensure you are classified properly as either Resident or Non-Resident for tuition purposes.

How to establish residency

Information on residency for active duty military, or dependents of active duty military, not claiming Colorado residency

Tuition and Costs

Click Here for Tuition Rates

  • A one-time matriculation fee of $140 is charged for first time enrollment at any University of Colorado campus.
  • A $50 application fee ($75 for international students) is charged to apply for non-degree status. If more than 3 consecutive semesters has elapsed since taking courses in non-degree status, the student must reapply and repay the non-degree application fee.
  • Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid, student loans, scholarships or tuition assistance.
  • Non-degree students may use an employee tuition waiver if eligible. See waiver rules and instructions. Waiver students are not allowed to enroll in courses until the first day of classes. Employees may be disqualified for current and future participation in the tuition waiver program if enrollment occurs prior to first day of classes. It is also not allowable to enroll before the first day of classes and then drop the class and re-enroll on the first day of classes under the tuition waiver benefit.

Other General Information

  • Courses in the Graduate School may not be audited. However, a student may register for a course for no credit and pay the full tuition and fees.
  • Students must designate “No Credit” by the appropriate deadlines as set forth by the Registrar’s Office. No Credit forms are available from the CU Anschutz Medical Campus Registrar’s Office.Students currently enrolled in any degree seeking program on campus must obtain permission from their Department Chairperson or Academic Advisor to register for a non-degree course.
  • If you enroll in a graduate MS or PhD program at a later date, the total number of transfer credit allowed is 12 for MS, 30 for PhD, or 40% of the total number of didactic credits if the program requires more than 30 credits. You must receive a grade of “B minus” or better (individual programs may require a “B” or better for transfer credit). Transfer credits are subject to the program’s approval.


Instructions for Applying and Registering as a Non-Degree Student

Application Deadlines

TermApplications OpenApplications Close
Fall 2024June 3, 2024August 5, 2024
Spring 2025October 21, 2024January 3, 2025
Summer 2025March 17, 2025May 12, 2025

Any student who has taken a Graduate School Basic Sciences course as a non-degree student in the last three semesters should skip steps 1-2 and start with step 3.

Step 1

If you have not taken any Graduate School level courses available in the School of Medicine or Toxicology and Pharmaceutical Sciences courses in the School of Pharmacy as a non-degree student in the past three semesters, you must start by applying to receive non-degree student status with the Graduate School. The initial step of applying includes entering your personal information (e.g., name, birthdate, etc.). Following your completion of step 1, the registration system will conduct a search to determine if you have an existing record at the University of Colorado.

Within 24 hours (or longer if a weekend is included), you will receive a username and password in two separate emails. These will allow you to complete the application process. From here you can move to step 2 and complete the rest of the application. 

Step 2

Once you receive your username and password, log in here. Select the following options when completing the application:

     1. Application Details: "Graduate Non-degree Admissions"
     2. Academic Interest: "Non-Degree"
     3. Non-Degree Option: "Anschutz Grad School Non-Degree"
     4. Admit Term: Select the term you wish to start taking courses

Complete all other information.

Step 3

To obtain permission to enroll in a course.

As part of the application process, you will download the Non-Degree Student Permission Form. This is a fillable PDF. Complete the form, print it, and obtain the instructor’s signature for each course, indicating their permission for you to take the course. Applicants must present the instructor with sufficient documentation of their academic background to show adequate preparedness for the course in question. Obtaining the instructor’s permission does not assure your registration in the course. After obtaining the signatures on the form, you will upload a scan of the completed, signed document as part of your required application materials. You will not be allowed to complete the application without this form and the application will not be approved if the form is uploaded incomplete, or without appropriate faculty signatures.

Step 4

Complete and submit the application.

Once you have completed, saved, and submitted the application with all the required documents, you will be required to submit an application fee of $50 ($75 for international applicants).

Step 5

The Graduate School will notify you once you have been matriculated as a non-degree student and will provide your with information on the steps required to claim your University email account and instructions for registering online.

If a course is full, you will be able to enter the waitlist for the course. Check back frequently to see if you have been enrolled in the course from the waitlist as you will not receive an email confirmation that you have moved from the waitlist into the course. The drop/add deadline for each semester is published in the academic calendar.

Please note, you have until the add/drop deadline to add or drop courses. A late fee of $60.00 will be assessed for registration after the add/drop deadline. After the add/drop deadline, you must obtain the Graduate School Assistant Dean's permission to withdraw from a class.


Step 6

You will receive a bill from the Bursar’s Office for the courses by email. You must pay for the courses by the stated deadline, 2 weeks after the start of classes.

If a class is dropped after the add/drop deadline, a "W" will appear on the official transcript and the student will be responsible for paying the full tuition and fees for the course. Dropping courses after the add/drop deadlines will result in 0% tuition reimbursement.

Graduate School

CU Anschutz

Fitzsimons Building

13001 East 17th Place


Aurora, CO 80045


CMS Login